REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR THE 11 week SPRiNG SESSION- classes are filling quickly- register now to book your spot in class!
*New to Music Together®? Scroll down for semester start dates, description and to click on video link for class details below.
*Why Music Together? Catch a glimpse of our program details here
The Music Together program includes:
- Weekly, 45-minute classes with the same group of people, and same teacher building a sense of safety and familiarity for your child. Fall, Winter, and Spring Sessions run 11 weeks. Summer session runs 6 weeks.
- A formally trained and apprenticed Music Together teacher (see teacher bios by clicking on "Teachers" tab above)
- Engaging and sophisticated songs, rhythmic chants, movement, and instrument play a long.
- A new CD, MP3's of the music, and a songbook (new collection of songs every semester for a 3 year cycle)
- Two make-ups allowed, to be used in the current semester only.
- A parent guide DVD on early childhood music development (for new families, on how to get the most out of the program).
Instruments and props include: bells, eggs shakers, drums, balls, scarves, rhythm sticks, and more!
Spring Session start dates by day/location, see all class-times listed by location by scrolling down:
Mondays in Ft. Greene (138 South Oxford Street) start April 9
Tuesdays in Ft. Greene (Brooklyn Music School) start April 10
Tuesdays in Bed Stuy (Little Lola & Tots) start April 24
Wednesdays in Bed Stuy (Pipsqueak) begin April 18
Thursdays in Ft. Greene (Brooklyn Music School) start April 12
Fridays in Clinton Hill (at Jack Arts Inc) start April 6
Saturdays in Ft. Greene (at 138 South Oxford Street) start April 14
The Four Principles of Music Together
1. All children are born musical.
2. All children can achieve basic music competence—that is, they can learn to sing in tune and dance accurately to a beat.
3. It's crucial that parents and caregivers participate in class and model music-making for their children in class and at home, regardless of their own musical ability.
4. The environment that best fosters young children's musical growth is playful, musically rich, and developmentally appropriate.
MIXED-AGE CLASSES (0 to 5 years):
Child development researchers have found that grouping together children of varying ages fosters natural, family-style learning. Children—even babies!—are inspired and stimulated through interaction with peers of different ages: younger children watch and imitate older ones, older children lead younger ones, and adults are happy because their children are in class together. Our activities focus on adult/child interaction, where the adult is the musical role model for their child. This class is the basis for all Music Together classes, so if you have an infant, don't hesitate to take a Mixed Age Class if The Babies Only Class time doesn't work for you. All of our teachers have had specialized training in working with each age group within a mixed age setting; infants, toddlers, and 3-5 year-olds.
BABIES ONLY CLASS (0-8 months):
They may be pre-verbal and pre-mobile, but they’re not pre-musical! A specially designed one-semester introduction to music for our youngest music-makers. Musical activities such as finger play, lap songs, and songs without words are emphasized though we learn songs with words too. A great way to have fun with your new baby, learn how they learn, and meet other new parents. Class tuition includes 1 CD, MP3's of the music, a songbook, and 2 free make ups. Babies are always welcome in any mixed age class if the schedule of the Babies Only Class doesn't work for you. This class will be taught Thursdays at 11 am with Jessie White in Ft. Greene
Watch this brief video on Music Together Classes with Babies! Our Babies Only class (0-8 months old) is Thursdays at 11 AM in Ft. Greene. Babies are also welcome in any Mixed Age class (0-5 years old)
See classes listed by location here: